Sunday, March 20, 2016

The Reluctant Serial Blogger

15 minutes ago, I decided to start a blog.

It is my third blog.

I consider myself a "serious" writer, not a blogger.  (Yes, yes, vanity is one of my vices...and yes, there are literary blogs and excellent writers who blog, but for me, there is some kind of uncrossable chasm.) I never wanted to be a blogger.  I still don't want to be a blogger.  So what gives?

My first blog was tied to my Etsy business and meant to promote it.  I read that businesses should have blogs.  I was doing everything I could to make a go of it, so I took the suggestion.  I never had ideas to write about.  The blog was interesting to no one but my mother.  I quit.

My second blog was on a topic I was passionate about, mortgage freedom, to include owner-builders, tiny houses, minimalism, etc.  I would post every day; I would treat it like a business; I would gain a loyal readership; and maybe, maybe, I would supplement my family's income.  My efforts led to many interesting contacts and interviews, but I burnt out.

Third time's a charm?

I never spent much time on the reading end of a blog until I started homeschooling, but now I rely heavily on the ideas of other homeschoolers to fuel my own lessons, mostly drawing from Pinterest and blogs.  I put in a few ideas, shake them around, cut them up and rearrange them, and several hours later emerge with my own ideas.  It's a lot of work to plan my lessons--if I come up with the occasional good one, why not share it?

So here's the new blog...I'm not going to annoy my friends and myself by posting it all over Facebook.  I'm not going to  stress myself out with a publishing schedule.  I'm not going to quit my day job (which is homeschooling, so that would be counterproductive, anyway...)  I'll probably abandon it in a couple of months for some new interest. 
But if I have an idea I want to share, I'll share it.  Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment